Monday, November 27, 2006

Acting is Being

"All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players." William Shakespeare
Last night I watched the film Ali, based on the biography of the boxer, Muhammad Ali from his early days to when he became a boxing champion. I was amazed at how much Will Smith had transformed himself both physically and mentally to be like Ali. If I didn't know he was only acting I could have sworn he was Ali.

Where do these characters come from? Is it sufficient to simply study someone to be that person? I don't think so. I believe one can be any character because that person is already within you. Each of us is a microcosm of the macrocosm; we contain the entire universe within us, and I mean all forms and realities. To be someone all you need to do is to evoke the person within you. When you evoke that person you are letting that person or character take over at that moment.

What actors are doing is not different from what most of us are constantly being. Every day we're playing different roles: parents, sons, daughters, friends, boss, employee, customer, behaviour, emotions, thoughts etc. These roles are within us and as soon as we're put into a situation, we start acting out these roles. The only difference is a few people have come up with an alternative name for being called acting. Actors get trained to be and expect to get paid for it, while people who don't call themselves actors don't. Great strategy! Maybe, we should all call ourselves actors and get paid for being.

Who is playing these roles?

The One, formless, unconditioned, spirit that we all are, is playing these roles. Each of us is the One playing the many faces of the universe.

If we're all playing different roles, how can we be so sure which self is really us? How do I know who the real Enocia is when I am capable of acting limitless roles?

The only thing I know for sure is I am spirit. At the same time, there is an energy that seems to stay the same no matter what. It is an energy formation that no other can fill but me and it is what makes me Me.

Whether I am acting or being, I am always myself.

Award winning actress extraordinaire, Enocia.

Related articles: Acting is Being - Part 2; My Function; Charity Begins and Ends at Home; Shapeshifting; Let Yourself Go; Great Actors Know How to Be