Tuesday, November 28, 2006

False Readings

"This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118: 24

"Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty: for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all." 1 Chronicles 29: 11
My mother asked me to do some shopping for her this morning. I intended to get early but I overslept. When I woke up I felt a bit unwell. I could very easily have thought that I was in no fit state to go out. It was also raining which didn't inspire me at all. But then I remembered the unchanging truth that this is the day that God has made. In fact, every day is God expressing Self and very good. This feeling of sickness is nothing but a false reading trying to distract me from the reality of God's presence.

What do I mean by "false reading"?

In London there is now an electronic ticketing system called the Oyster card, which passengers can use to travel on buses and trains. The card is also supposed to protect the cardholder's money. The way it works is every time the cardholder travels on a bus or train he is supposed to touch the card on a panel which scans and automatically deducts the correct amount from the card. The system also reminds the cardholder when he's run out of credit. I still use the old bus pass system that you show the driver. I daresay that will eventually be phased out in favour of the Oyster card.

Occasionally, the machine gives a false signal indicating the cardholder has run out of credit when the traveller still has money on his card. This happened on the bus this morning when a woman touched her card on the panel and it beeped at her. The driver told her there was a fault on the machine. This obviously means the system is fallible and likely to give false readings of reality.

Similarly, the world with its many false beliefs is constantly giving out false readings of reality. Some of the popular false readings are we are meant to struggle, compete for limited resources, be sick, grow old and die. How can this be when there is only God and God is Love? One way to avoid these false readings is to be constantly aware of God/Divine Love as the only presence, power, truth and reality.

As I got dressed I reminded myself that God is the day and He is in charge. God is going to do the shopping. God drove the bus to the supermarket. God appeared as the goods on the shelves, the supermarket staff and the customers. God even picked out items He knew my mother needed even though she hadn't included them on her list. At the checkout there was a long queue so God opened up more tills in order that customers' needs were met promptly.

When I came out of the supermarket, God stopped the rain and carried the two bags of shopping. At the bus stop there was my bus waiting. I hoped the bus would wait till I crossed the road but it turned out the bus was not going anywhere. The bus driver was speaking to two police officers for some reason. The next bus took ages to arrive. At first I wondered what the delay was but then I remembered God was in control. God had obviously delayed the bus for a reason.

After I had taken the shopping home and had some juice, I walked to the bus station to catch my bus. On the bus was an old friend I hadn't seen in a while. I wasn't that surprised to see her because she popped into my thoughts recently. Now it made sense why my earlier bus had been delayed so God could synchronise our journey.

It was good to link up with my friend again, not that we have ever been separated as we are always one in spirit anyway. We used to work on a project together but then I took time out as I needed focus and direction. I also felt the work I was doing wasn't my "calling." I had it in mind to get back in touch with her but weeks became months and months years. She asked me why I hadn't got in contact. When I told her what I'd been doing she understood perfectly. She said God works through each of us in a different way and that I was doing the right thing. She said she was being guided to move in a new direction to serve God. It was so wonderful to meet someone who knows what it means to follow your "calling" and trust in God, even when the world thinks you've gone mad. She told me of a couple of friends in a similar situation who have total trust in God.

God is the only power.
God is the only presence.

Anything that appears to oppose God's allness is nothing but a false reading and should be treated as nothing.

God is Love and Love is all in all.

Enocia

Related article: Omnipresent Spirit; God in Every Moment; God Rules, OK!