Thursday, November 23, 2006

We are One

Last night I watched a documentary about a clan of hyenas in the Mala game reserve in South Africa. After winning their trust, wildlife filmmaker, Kim Wolhuter, was able to touch and lie close to the hyenas. He also filmed them while they were going about their normal activities such as fighting for territory with other hyenas and lions, and feeding. It was very moving to watch how gentle the hyenas were with Kim. He described the hyenas as his ears and eyes in the jungle.

Was the relationship that Kim had with the hyenas a one-off experience? Is it normal for humans to live with wild animals and feel no fear?

Consider the following:

"Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation; There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling." Psalm 91: 9-10
This passage is saying that when you realise your real self as the God within you, that is the same self as all "wild animals," there is nothing to fear.

While I couldn't say whether the filmmaker knew his real self as the same self as the hyenas, he certainly had a lot of love for the hyenas. The hyenas sensed this love and let him into their clan.

Here's another example about more of the same:

One Sunday afternoon Emil and I were walking in a field when he called my attention to a pigeon circling overhead and casually remarked that the bird was looking for him. He stood perfectly still and in a few moments the bird alighted upon his outstretched arm. He said the bird has a message from his brother in the North. This proved to be a fellow-worker who had not reached the attainment whereby he could communicate directly, so he took this means. We later found that the Masters are able to communicate with each other instantly by thought transference or, as they call it, a force much more subtle than either electricity or wireless.

I then began to ask questions and Emil showed me that he was able to call the birds to him and direct their flight while they were in the air; that the flowers and trees would nod to him; that the wild animals would come to him fearlessly. He parted two jackals that were fighting over the body of a smaller animal that they had killed and were feeding upon. When he approached them they stopped fighting and put their heads in his outstretched hands in perfect trust, then resumed their meal in quiet. He even gave me one of the young wild creatures to hold in my hands. He then said to me, "This is not the mortal self, the self you see, that is able to do these things. It is a truer, deeper self. It is what you know as God, God within me, God the Omnipotent One working through me, that does these things. Of myself, the mortal self, I can do nothing. It is only when I get rid of the outer entirely and let the actual, the I AM, speak and work and let the great Love of God come forth that I can do these things that you have seen. When you let the Love of God pour through you to all things, nothing fears you and no harm can befall you." Life and Teachings of the Masters of the Far East, Volume 1
It is natural for us to lie with lions and play with hyenas because our real self is the same - Love.

Enocia

Related article: The One Self in All; The Lion Will Sleep with the Sheep