Saturday, November 04, 2006

Possession

When I was a child I used to love drinking nectar from flowers. The only way I knew how to get access to the flower's nectar was to chop the petals off and get to the base where the nectar was and dip the tip of my tongue in it and enjoy the nectar.

Now as I observe bees, butterflies, moths and other insects interacting with flowers, I see that they use their proboscis to drink the nectar. There is no need for them to decimate the flower; they simply take what they need. I also observe insects fly from one flower to the next with complete detachment.

When you believe you possess something you can do what you like with it. However, there is a price to pay for possessiveness.

Have you ever felt a nagging pain somewhere? The moment you focus on the pain and make it yours, what you're saying is that it's yours. You're now trying to get rid of it. You dream up new techniques to get rid of the pain. You might succeed in dissolving it at that moment but it ends up reappearing in another form. You play this game until one day you realise that the pain is not yours. It is simply whatever it is seeking expression. Let it pass through without possessing it.

The same applies with pleasure. While pleasure feels good, the moment you capture it you're on a quest to keep the pleasure going, to increase the pleasure. And when you can't keep it going you're unhappy. Why not treat pleasure as pain; something that is not yours to possess just let it express as it will and let it go.

The universe is filled to the brim with opportunities to express ideas, yet these ideas are not meant to be possessed. They belong to no one.

I don't belong to you.
You don't belong to me.

I am freedom.

Enocia