Thursday, December 21, 2006

The Timeless Now

Last night, I watched a very poignant episode of the sci-fi series, Torchwood. Before I elaborate on the episode, here is a bit of background. Torchwood Institute was "formed to research and combat paranormal threats to Great Britain, and use their findings to make the British Empire great again. To those ends, it acquires and reverse engineers alien technology by any means deemed necessary."

In the episode called Out of Time, a plane that took off in 1953 lands in present day Cardiff (Wales). The passengers are met by three Torchwood members: Gwen, Owen and Jack. The passengers are informed that their plane went through a time rift, which means they can never go back to their time. Each member of the Torchwood team makes a connection with each passenger.

Owen and the female pilot, Diane, forge a friendship. Owen believes they can have a sexual relationship but he ends up falling in love with her, which is a first for Owen. She feels the same way about him. Unfortunately for Owen, Diane is way too much of a free-spirit to be tied down to any century. She decides that she would rather fly off somewhere else, leaving Owen devastated.

The oldest passenger, John, is anxious to find his son, who is his only living relative. He discovers his son has Alzheimer's disease and is now living in a residential home. John pays his son a visit but he doesn't recognise him. He finds it hard to fit into modern society and in desperation he tries to commit suicide by inhaling exhaust fumes. Jack, the head of Torchwood, finds him just in time. Jack tells him he can relate to his situation because he once died and after he was brought back to life, he became an immortal. Jack said he's now living out of time and feels very much alone. Although John understands where Jack is coming from, he feels he would rather die than live in a reality he cannot understand. Jack complies with John's wish and sits with him as he dies. Jack is unaffected by the exhaust fumes.

Gwen takes the third passenger, an 18 year old woman called Emma, under her wings. Although Emma is sad that everyone she once knew and loved are dead, she's determined to start life afresh in a new city. Gwen has to let Emma go to London to pursue her dreams.

This episode was particularly poignant for me because I could relate to the three passengers' dilemma. I feel very much as if I'm living out of time. In fact, I've always felt like I was out of time but as I was educated in the system, I got accustomed to its ways. When I woke up to my true identity as Spirit, I could no longer relate to the system. I feel very much like John in this respect and went through periods of feeling very lonely and wanted out but I knew it wasn't an option. Because I'm being myself, I'm very much like Diane, a free spirit, who can't fit in with society's ways of being. At the same time, I can relate to Emma who is full of optimism about life because my real self is full of joy. Every day is a new adventure to explore the wonder of life.

I can also relate to Jack and his colleagues at the Torchwood Institute. I interact with people on a daily basis, even communicate with them at some level, but there are very few people I can speak to about who I am. How can I, when what I know to be true is contrary to the dominant view of reality? It's not my place, however, to impose my beliefs on anyone or to change the world. All I can do is be true to myself and share who I am being.

Great series, Torchwood; highly recommended.

Enocia

Related articles: One Love, Many Guises and Special Relationships; Fitting a Square Peg into a Round Hole; Friendships; Paradigms